CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 20, 2009

4wheelin Down the Paria River

I have heard of a great adventure that leads one down the Paria River, and have always wanted to venture down it. This past weekend that opportunity knocked and I joyfully answered it! The Paria River flows south from Cannonville making its way to the Colorado River below Lake Powell; however we didn't traverse the river that far. We went as far as the old Pahreah Townsite and Graveyard, then hooked up with the Cottonwood Wash Road, which is the road that led us back to our vehicles. The course of the journey is about 70 miles round trip.

The Paria River is southern Utah at its finest. The river flows through an immense canyon that cuts its way through the rocky terrain. The fourwheeler trail criss-crosses back and forth through the river, allowing one to cool off from the warm spring temperature. One must always keep an eye out for quick sand and avoid at all cost, for they say it is so deep it could swallow a truck whole. The Paria is an unruly place full of history and wonder. Throughout the canyon walls are Petroglyph and Pioneer-glyphs (I just made that word up, obviously.) There are countless treasures to behold along this vast river bank.

CAUTION: EXTREME PICTURE OVERLOAD

The Whole GroupKelsieSigning the LedgerThe Pioneers wrote their names on the wall in axle greaseThis is my Great-Great Grandpa Joseph Hills Johnson. Circa 1900Colored PetroglyphsBubba explaining the meaning behind the petroglyphsWe thought that throwing rocks into these holes was very entertaining.



A herd of Wild Long Horns

Norm and Kelton tamed this one

So I jumped on it

Kelton trying to stop it from running away with me, which it almost did. It walked about 10 feet and I got scared and dismounted

All of us


Needless to say, I was not disappointed and can't wait to go again!

3 Remarks:

Lane, Amanda, and Mason said...

Looks like fun! I love that you rode the long horn you KILL ME!

Nat said...

Did you seriously ride that wild bull??? You are tough! That's cool that Joel H JOhnson's name is there. I have wanted to go to the Pariah for years. Now that you are experienced at going there you can take us! But I don't want to ride a bull.

Jeff and Ali said...

Wow, what a fun trip! I can't believe that you rode one of those wile long horns! You're soo funny!